Do you have mental health problems and are you going on a trip? On this page you will find information to consider before and during your trip.
TRAVELLING AND YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
Travelling can have a lot of impact on your mental health, for instance because you end up in a new environment, a different rhythm, a different culture or because you suffer from homesickness. When there is already a history of mental illness, symptoms may intensify or return. Therefore, it is important to travel well prepared and take into account as many scenarios as possible.
Good preparation makes the trip more predictable and less stressful. Here are some tips to get started:
- Make sure you have good travel insurance, if something happens while travelling, good insurance can save you a lot of money;
- Take the time to prepare the trip well and apply for any visas on time;
- Take your vaccination passport and/or medication passport with you when you travel;
- Some medications prescribed for mental disorders fall under the Opium Act. These medications may only be brought on your trip with a valid doctor’s certificate. Which declaration is needed depends on the country you are travelling to and the type of medication. During a consultation, the vaccinatiecentrum.nl nurse will check with you for contraindications of certain medicines and whether the medication you are taking with you falls under the Opium Act;
- For serious psychiatric problems, bring your practitioner’s phone number and an English letter telling them what to do if things don’t go well and who they can reach for help.
MENTAL DISORDERS AND VACCINATIONS
Fear of needles can get in the way of getting travel vaccinations. It is still important to get the necessary vaccinations for travel. Feel free to discuss this with the nurse during the consultation.
MENTAL DISORDERS AND MALARIA
Some mental health problems have a contraindication for Lariam (Mefloquine). These include depression, schizophrenia, psychosis or epilepsy. If any of the above applies to you, please let us know during the consultation or on the intake form.
MENTAL DISORDERS AND ANTIBIOTICS
When taking lithium, it is wise to take antibiotics for self-treatment of diarrhoea. Mention this on the intake form or to the nurse during the consultation and consult with your doctor.
PERSONALISED ADVICE FOR TRAVELLING WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS
Some medications prescribed for mental disorders fall under the Opium Act. These medications may only be brought on your trip with a valid doctor’s certificate. Which statement is needed depends on the country of travel and the medication.
During the consultation, we look at contraindications of certain medications and check whether the medication you take with you on your trip falls under the Opium Act.
Do you have any questions or would you like to make an appointment?
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment for personal (travel) advice, you can use the button below, email via email@example.com or call 085-9020303.